Media Worx seeks a Multimedia Journalist with an eye for powerful visual storytelling. The Multimedia Journalist would serve as the visual lead for our various news platforms including West Virginia Statewide News. That includes taking quality images to accompany our reporting, and separately working on their own short term and long-term photo/video essays. This person would not be limited to photo essays for storytelling. They would have the ability to capture stories that matter by producing videos, social media posts and written content for the website and newsletters. Their written work would focus on finding narratives in West Virginia’s communities.
The Multimedia Journalist will work closely with editor and news staff to supplement Media Worx stories. We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience shooting breaking news, portrait and landscape photography. This person must know how to write descriptive and accurate captions.
- Is a self-starter who can find interesting photo essay ideas and follow topics related to our reporting to help our readers better understand the region.
- Is comfortable using Facebook and Instagram and passionate about growing our audience there with compelling visuals and videos.
- Writes clearly and has strong spelling, punctuation and AP Style knowledge.
● Shoot photos for daily stories and long-term projects
● Produce short-term and long-term photo essays
● Edit photos and write captions
● Creative brainstorming for social media and visuals for stories
● Write community focused stories for the website and/or newsletters
● Shoot and edit video
● Create visual and multimedia representations of news story narratives — including policies, processes and data — making concepts easily digestible for the average audience
● Maintain media archive
● Publish content on social media and websites
● Serve as back-up for other members of the product team for key duties, such as show production, social media management, etc.
● Creative consulting on development of new products and projects, such as reporting projects, magazines, advertising campaigns, and branded visual media
● Other duties as assigned
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract, Freelance
Pay: $40,134.03 - $48,333.46 per year
Expected hours: 10 – 40 per week
- 8 hour shift
- Weekends as needed
- Journalism: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Ability to Commute:
- Huntington, WV 25701 (Required)
Ability to Relocate:
- Huntington, WV 25701: Relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Huntington, WV 25701