At a Glance
Healthline Media's mission is to support the everyday journey to lifelong well-being through exceptional services that power healthy actions. We are the world's leading digital health publisher with our brands Healthline.com and MedicalNewsToday.com ranked #1 and #4 by Comscore, respectively, and Greatist.com, PsychCentral.com, and Bezzy.com. More than 275 million people worldwide and 92 million people in the U.S. visit Healthline's sites each month. We are a purpose-driven organization, owned by RVO Health, with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
What You'll Do
RVO Health publishes daily news content on Healthline and Medical News Today.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to write original news stories around all areas of chronic health conditions, nutrition, new treatments, medications, and trending wellness topics.
All writing and editing and work will take place within our WordPress CMS.
This is a freelance roll, paid on a per-project-level or hourly, depending local regulations. Most news assignments are 800-1000 words and require 4-6 hours of work.
This is a flexible role, and workloads can vary based on an individual's availability.
We have teams based in the UK and across the US, and we publish across multiple timezones, five days a week.
What You'll Do
- Research and write original news pieces based on the current news environment.
- Work closely with our network of expert sources and fact-checkers to ensure that all content meets our editorial standards.
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in English, Journalism, Medical Sciences or Science Communication
- 4-6 years of editorial experience, preferably in an online newsroom environment
- Superb research, writing, and editing skills, with a firm understanding of AP style
- Ability to turn research and writing projects around quickly
- Excellent working knowledge of all major social media channels, news wire services, including EurekAlert, Newswise, and others.
- Experience creating and optimizing content based on SEO best practices
- Astute sense of appropriate voice and tone
- Strong skills in meeting deadlines, managing multiple projects, and prioritizing workload
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with health and/or medical content preferred
- Experience working with content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.) and project management platforms (Asana, Airtable, etc.)
- Experience working in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
At Healthline, we're committed to providing our audience with trustworthy, accessible, and accurate information so they're equipped to care for your health and wellness. We use an established Editorial Process to ensure we're giving you the best possible information.
Our Editorial Process was developed by the Healthline team. It's the backbone of everything we do. But what is this process? How do we ensure that everything we publish meets our standards?
Our team creates and edits every piece of content based on the 4 pillars of our editorial process. These pillars — (1) earning and maintaining trust; (2) keeping high journalistic standards; (3) prioritizing accuracy, empathy, and inclusion; and (4) continual monitoring and updating of content — ensure that you can always find the timely, evidence-based information you need.
Pursuant to various state Fair Pay Acts, below is a summary of compensation for this role at the company.
- Compensation: $200 USD/article
We welcome all interested freelancers, but as we expect to receive a high number of responses, we are unable to provide individual feedback. Please also note that we cannot accept interest without either writing samples or a link to your online portfolio.
Our goal is to listen, engage, and activate voices to ensure that all identity groups and perspectives are represented in our work. Our aspiration is to have diverse partnerships at every level of the company, and we seek freelancers who bring unique personal experiences, curiosity and an eagerness to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion.