The Association of Writers & Writing Program (AWP) amplifies the voices of writers and the academic programs and organizations that serve them while championing diversity and excellence in creative writing.
The Graphic Design Contractor is a graphic designer and graphics production specialist providing project support for AWP’s Communications Department. This is a remote, freelance contract position with the anticipation of up to 20 hours per week at a rate of $27 – 30 per hour. The Graphic Design Contractor completes specific project deliverables as designated by the AWP Graphic Production Designer and the Director of Communications & Technology.
The Graphic Design Contractor assists with the production as well as the design of print, social media and web graphics, as assigned by the Graphic Production Designer. The Graphic Design Contractor must be detail-oriented, possess exceptional organizational skills, and have the ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment, competently handling demanding deadlines.
Administrative and Strategic
· Collaborate with AWP staff as needed and provide relevant daily communication regarding project deliverables to Graphic Production Designer and Director of Communications & Technology.
· Provide clear prioritization of individual projects, while being cognizant of the overall workload generated by the associated project activities of each department.
· Conceptualize visuals based on requirements and guidelines of print and promotions for individual departments, while maintaining AWP’s established brand.
· Generate strong, consistent and proven conceptual, typographic and design results, all of which align to AWP’s established brand and standards.
· Consistently apply high-quality design of illustration, and strong page layout of long and short documents, using AWP established best practices in branding for the Writer’s Chronicle.
· Efficiently manage large amounts of information and edits to conform with production schedules.
· Create visual graphics to apply to video files.
· Design and provide high-quality layout of conference materials including but not limited to the conference program, the bookfair brochure, the bookfair handbook, conference badges, the conference planner, the conference event proposal handbook, and conference signage.
· Adobe Creative Suite: at least 2 years experience required, must be proficient in both MAC & PC
· Adobe Illustrator: 2 years required
· Print production design and/or prepress experience preferred: at least 2 years
· Strong understanding of Pantone, CMYK and RGB color spaces
· Knowledge of pre-press concepts
· Excellent project and time management skills
· Self starter with the ability to prioritize workflow
· Ability to communicate ideas visually, orally, and in writing
· Consistent attention to detail
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Self-disciplined and organized to work and communicate effectively in a remote environment
· Able to function well in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment
Please provide a link to your portfolio upon submitting your resume.