Search by Keyword or Req ID
Search by Location
Click Here to Search by Job Function
AllSelect How Often (in Days) To Receive An Alert
Select how often (in days) to receive an alert:
Apply now » News Editor, CBS Sports HQ (Freelance)
Stamford, CT, US, 06902
Temporary / Per Diem / Freelance (Non-Staff)
CBS Sports seeks a dynamic News Editor for this freelance position that must be skilled at identifying news and emerging storylines; gathering and organizing articles and other sources for background, potential human-interest stories; and evaluating and summarizing key points of storylines or commentaries to enhance and support the coverage across CBS Sports productions, including by not limited to CBS Sports HQ.
A strong News Editor displays confidence in anticipating and reacting to breaking news and other developing storylines across multiple sports. The ideal candidate excels at communication and collaboration to decipher news with urgency in a fast-paced environment; deliver context and recommendations for news presentations; and engage with a variety of content contributors to maintain editorial standards across all presentations.
The News Editor will be responsible for providing editorial oversight to multiple production personnel, for planning and facilitating coverage for upcoming news events, for working with external partners to acquire relevant material for news storytelling, and for partnering with cross-department contributors to ensure consistency, quality and reach of our newsgathering.
To successfully deliver editorial guidance to all productions, this News Editor must have strong sports knowledge, the ability to make quick editorial decisions, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is passionate and knowledgeable about sports journalism and storytelling, enthusiastic about contributing to and committed to upholding the highest editorial standards of the CBS Sports brand.
This is a Freelance positionResponsibilities
- Conduct newsgathering and provide editorial guidance across multiple platforms. React to breaking news with an emphasis on accuracy, creative storytelling, and relevance to our productions and our audience.
- Monitor news feeds, including searching social & other media outlets, and work with CBS Sports reporters and other editorial staff to gather and evaluate relevant news and information
- Communicate regularly with studio producers and other production contributors to discuss developing news and provide guidance on the presentation of that news within our programming.
- Prepare and distribute news briefs and key points for graphic or video presentations of news across all sports
- Write, edit and review scripts and graphics for accuracy, style and editorial value. This includes skills at writing to video and for broadcast news (ex. writing for voice over and packages).
- Discover connections between our events and developing news stories; and then provide ideas for how to tell those stories within our games and studio shows. This may include suggesting and gathering elements, potential guests, and details on alternative angles to enhance the telling of those stories.
- Serve as the leading editorial voice during live studio programming and partner with producers to generate urgent, effective coverage of breaking news.
- Under tight deadlines, educate on-air talent and other production staff on the key details of a developing story and offer perspective on proper context for presentation on our shows
- Coordinate with and support management and all production staff to maintain editorial standards for newsgathering and coverage on broadcast and cable platforms
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of on-air content
- Draft suggested questions and topics for interview subjects and analyst discussions
- Identify outside content for use across productions from news conferences and interviews to highlights. Evaluate outside video for use in news SOTs and potential segments; ability to edit video a plus. Maintain knowledge of and adhere to league rights and footage restrictions
- Work with the Talent Director to identify best match contributors from CBS Sports, 247Sports, MaxPreps and CBSSports.com staffs to appear on CBS Sports HQ in response to news and anticipated developments. Collaborate with our Talent Booker in pursuing appearances from external voices.
- Maintain files of ongoing stories and calendars of upcoming events to anticipate and guide future coverage across platforms.
- Use deep sports knowledge along with strong research techniques to identify and write briefs previewing and recapping key storylines related to games, teams, and sports covered on CBS Sports productions
- Conduct a variety of searches using news sites, school/team websites, social media, and other reliable sources to support storytelling and coverage for all game and studio productions
- Brainstorm and support the accurate, creative, culturally relevant and sensitive, and thorough presentation of content throughout CBS Sports. Contribute to and guide content development and storytelling involving the subjects of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, and other culture-based topics.
- Work closely with Production personnel, on-air talent, and content creators throughout the Sports division to pitch ideas, fact-check content, and respond real-time to questions and requests for guidance.
- Proactively identify and suggest solutions to address potential coverage angles and storylines
- Prepare general background/research material for other entities as needed.
- 3+ years of newsroom or other editorial experience, preferably in journalism, production or related areas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or equivalent training and experience
- Prior experience in sports journalism field is a plus
- Experience in digital and/or video preferredMust be able to work in a fast-paced environment, and communicate with urgency and clarity to producers, on-air talent and production associates.
- Excellent working knowledge of and interest in multiple sports, especially NFL, college football and college basketball, golf and soccer
- Must possess strong research skills and editorial judgment.
- A resourceful ability to conduct research and a passion for discovering and sharing new knowledge is a must.
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills, and demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
- Must have experience with a variety of approaches to Internet searches and be fluent in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet and best practices for utilizing social media.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to work with limited supervision while also thriving in a team-oriented environment
- History of working collaboratively across departments with peers and colleagues to advance content and coverage
- Must have experience performing well under pressure, including a proven track record of responding effectively to feedback even up against deadlines for air.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and flexible hours.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines and prioritize assignments
- Experience at gathering visual elements, prepping graphics and editing packages for segments is preferred
- Must be a team player with proven interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Excellent English grammar and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication abilities with experience working across diverse platforms
CBS Sports, a year-round leader in cross-platform sports coverage, broadcasts a portfolio of events on the CBS Television Network, including THE NFL ON CBS; college football, including the SEC ON CBS; college basketball, including the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship; golf, including The Masters®, PGA Championship and PGA TOUR; soccer, including the UEFA Champions League and NWSL; and CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR.
In addition, the division includes CBS SPORTS NETWORK, the 24-hour cable home of CBS Sports which televises live sports programming throughout the year, including college football and basketball games, UEFA Champions League and Europa League action, Italy's Serie A matches, Concacaf national team competitions, as well as a full slate of original programming and studio coverage.
CBS Sports also delivers an extensive lineup of global soccer coverage on Paramount+, including every UEFA club competition match, all Serie A matches as well as Concacaf national team competitions, and produces INSIDE THE NFL for Paramount+. CBS Sports Digital's multi-platform offerings include CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports apps for mobile and connected TV devices; the 24/7 streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ; 247Sports; MaxPreps; CBS Sports fantasy games; and SportsLine.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to email@example.com. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.Nearest Major Market:
BridgeportNearest Secondary Market:
Apply now »Find Similar Jobs
CBS Sports, All Current Job Opportunities