About MSF-USA | Doctors Without Borders
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization providing medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries. We were formed in France in 1971 as an association by a group of doctors and journalists to go to emergency situations and to treat patients with dignity while bearing witness independently of geopolitical boundaries. MSF is now a global movement of more than 25 MSF organizations, working in over 70 countries. We cooperate as an international, independent, medical humanitarian association that offers medical assistance to populations in distress, victims of natural or manmade disasters, and civilian victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, age, gender/sex, national or ethnic origin, color, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or political affiliation and provides assistance to the population in distress and intervenes worldwide. MSF staff also “bear witness” by speaking out about our work and what is experienced on the ground, not only to draw the world’s attention to crises, but to stand in solidarity with our patients and colleagues who are experiencing these emergencies firsthand.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s social mission.About The Communications Department
The Communications Department is responsible for developing a coherent voice and delivering clear public messages to inform both US and international audiences of MSF, its field activities and the humanitarian principles that underpin them; to raise awareness about the plight of the populations we serve; to promote public communication aimed at exposing and describing the field reality, including dilemmas and challenges; and to garner public understanding for our advocacy messages related to field operational concerns and the Access Campaign, via the media, print and digital channels, public awareness and advocacy campaigns, conferences, etc.About
About the Project
Under the direction of the Editorial Director, the Multimedia Graphic Designer will produce visual content and develop creative strategies to draw wider attention to the work of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF-USA). The designer will bring fresh ideas to enhance our storytelling, engage audiences, and inform the public about our medical humanitarian action around the world. This will be a part-time position, expected to work 21 hours per week (3 days a week), and is eligible for benefits.
The designer will produce graphics primarily for digital media and video, including illustrations, infographics, and motion graphics. The designer will help shape MSF-USA’s visual identity across platforms, ensuring adherence to brand guidelines. Strengthening our visual communications is intended to expand MSF-USA’s reach and awareness, increase social sharing and website traffic, and inspire greater financial support and other involvement.Roles Specific Accountabilities
Daily Activities & Responsibilities
Who You Are
- Produces powerful graphics—including illustrations, infographics, and motion graphics—to effectively convey MSF’s reporting and witnessing from our medical humanitarian projects around the world. Distills complex concepts, medical data, and other information into clear, compelling, and accurate graphics for use on digital channels including social media. Contributes graphics and design expertise to print publications and collateral as needed.
- Provides graphic design support to the Communications department and to MSF-USA as a whole, with a focus on digital media content. Priorities include rapid response to breaking news and emergencies as well as longer-term projects to highlight medical humanitarian issues.
- Proposes ways that graphics could be used to enhance MSF-USA’s storytelling capabilities and increase the impact of our communications materials.
- Coordinates with other teams and departments—including Events, Medical Publications, Field Human Resources, and the MSF Association—to assist them in their work and act as a liaison with design consultants and other vendors when required.
- Participates in strategy meetings about content production and dissemination. Identifies ways to augment presentation of MSF-USA’s work on digital platforms to increase engagement.
- Monitors medical humanitarian activities to appropriately represent MSF in communications materials, via reading MSF reports and updates, regular attendance of office presentations, program briefings, etc.
- Keeps up with emerging technologies and trends in digital media and the design industry.
Desired Qualifications & Experience
- Passionate about MSF-USA’s social mission to provide medical humanitarian aid.
- Interested in international humanitarian affairs and medical issues
- Committed to upholding diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Highly creative and organized
- Strong portfolio of digital assets and motion graphics with similar non-profit, media, or client work
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite design software.
- Video editing experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple requests in an organized way.
Expected to work in a hybrid work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, California) a minimum of 1 day per week.
We offer a generous comprehensive benefits package inclusive of Wellness initiatives to support a healthy work life balancePlease note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
: December 6, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST
Your Safety Matters:
Vaccination and booster against COVID-19 is a requirement at MSF - USA.Equal Employment Opportunity and Non-Discrimination
MSF-USA is committed to building a diverse, unbiased, and inclusive workforce. MSF- USA is an equal opportunity employer; we recruit, hire, train, promote, develop, and provide other conditions of employment without regard to a person’s gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other differences consistent with applicable laws. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for disabilities, or religious beliefs and practices. Members of communities historically underrepresented in the Humanitarian Aid sector are encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability of some kind and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources by emailing us: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.Type
HQPay Class & Contract Type
Regular PT Salaried ExemptCompensation
Starting salary $46,169.76 to $ 48,637.68 (commensurate with experience)Working Time (Hours Per Week)