Editorial Designer Job Summary:
We’re looking for an Editorial Designer to join a well-established and world-renowned Association in Washington, DC. This will be a hybrid role, in-office 3 days per week.
As an Editorial Designer you’ll be tasked with elevating a weekly magazine through thoughtful editorial design. You will work closely with journalists in developing and processing artwork (Including photographs, illustrations, and graphics) for upcoming stories and designing engaging feature and news page print layouts for our weekly newsmagazine. The successful candidate will be highly organized and able to adhere to tight weekly production schedules where quality, speed, and efficiency are critical, as well as an effective communicator capable of multitasking and juggling priorities.
Editorial Designer Responsibilities:
- Process incoming artwork for the magazine, vetting images and graphics submitted by writers and editors and assisting in photo research of images from photo agencies and stock image sites for upcoming stories. Assist in preparing and repurposing images, graphics, and ad materials for web, mobile, and social media presentations.
- Design print layouts for a weekly newsmagazine, including feature layouts and news pages as well as meetings program pages and news pages.
- Collaborate with writers, editors, and other designers to create engaging print layouts and brainstorm ideas for layout and art treatments for upcoming stories.
- Attend weekly production meetings and daily news meetings as needed.
- Assist in creating graphics, including chemical structures, reaction schemes, and data driven charts. Edit, label, and make changes to maps, charts, line art, chemical structures, and other art provided by outside sources.
- Support print production, including managing ads for weekly issues and creating ad layouts for full-page ads and placement of partial ads in the production system. Supply ad pages with metadata to ensure correct output to all print and digital channels.
- Support production of custom publishing and native advertising materials. Design whitepapers and sponsored content articles as needed.
- Create classifieds display and line ads, including sending proofs to Sales & Marketing team and making changes to ads.
- Coordinate production schedule with other members of the design team and the production/editing group.
Editorial Designer Qualifications:
- 4+ years of experience designing print layouts, preferably in a publishing or editorial environment.
- Knowledge and experience in print publishing workflows and technologies.
- Proficiency with common visual design tools, especially Adobe InDesign but also Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience with the K4 publishing system is a big plus.
- An eye for visual detail, and a drive for designing great print layouts that serve the story and entice our audience to keep reading.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to describe your ideas, brainstorm with a group, and draw out feedback from colleagues.
- Ability to take a design through our production process, including iterating and updating designs based upon user needs and stakeholder feedback.
- Experience handling multiple projects and meeting tight production deadlines as well as flexibility for last-minute changes.
- Experience in media, journalism, or publishing, with an emphasis on creating print layouts that support storytelling is a big plus.
About Sparks Group:
Sparks Group has been named to Inavero’s Best of Staffing Lists® for Client and Employee Satisfaction every year since 2012. Founded in 1970, Sparks Group is a full-service staffing and recruiting firm that understands the core values integral to your business. For nearly five decades we have taken a personalized approach to recruiting and staffing. We specialize in rapidly placing quality talent by cultivating relationships with commercial, federal and non-profit clients. We connect leading companies and nonprofits with exceptional IT, finance, creative and administrative talent - nationwide.
New job opportunities are listed daily – www.sparksgroupinc.com